Resources‎ > ‎FAQs‎ > ‎

Voluntary Transfers

This page is an attempt by BFT to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about voluntary (teacher-initiated) transfers. For more information please call the BFT office at 549-2307 or email us at

  1. Do I still have automatic voluntary transfer rights under our current contract?

    No, state law has changed. Teachers may request a voluntary transfer, but BUSD must approve the request.

  2. How do I find out about transfer opportunities?

    You should carefully review the postings of open positions that will come out in the spring. The postings are distributed to all certificated employees on Bemail, and should be posted in your school office. It is best to check your Bemail regularly in April, May and June.

  3. What do I do if I want to request a voluntary transfer?

    You should complete a Transfer Request form by the deadline specified in the posting. We recommend that you attach a cover letter explaining your interest in transferring and your qualifications for the position you seek. You should keep a copy for yourself and send a copy to the BFT office in district mail. BFT is happy to advise teachers during this process.

  4. Should I tell my principal that I am requesting a transfer?

    This decision is best made on a case-by-case basis. Please contact BFT for advice and assistance.

  5. If more than one teacher applies for a vacant position which candidate is selected?

    The selection of a candidate is at the district’s discretion. An outside candidate may be chosen even if a current BUSD teacher applies.