Resources‎ > ‎FAQs‎ > ‎

Leave of Absence Requests

This FAQ is an attempt by BFT to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about unpaid leaves of absence under the BFT/BUSD Collective Bargaining Agreement. For more information please feel free to consult with your Site Rep, email BFT at and/or consult Article 12 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, available on the BFT web site.

  1. Who can apply for unpaid leaves of absence?

    Anyone can apply for a leave of absence. Employees who have achieved permanent status and who have served three years in the district are automatically guaranteed a full-time leave. For other employees the decision is at the District's discretion.

  2. Is the leave request automatically granted?

    Requests for full-time unpaid leave of absence in the subsequent year that are received BY MARCH 1st are automatically granted for a maximum of one year for employees who have achieved permanent status and who have served three years in the district. After March 1st such requests MAY be granted at the District’s discretion. IT IS IMPORTANT TO GET YOUR REQUEST SUBMITTED BY MARCH 1st.

  3. How do I apply for an unpaid leave of absence?

    Complete a “Leave of Absence Request Form” (available on the BFT website) and submit it via email to Delia Ruiz, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources and Evelyn Bradley, Director of Personnel, with an email explaining your request. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.  Please cc BFT on your email.

  4. When am I officially notified that my leave has been approved?

    The District is obligated to let you know by April 15th.

  5. Can I go work in another school district while on leave from BUSD?

    No, this is expressly prohibited in Article 12, Section 1.7.

  6. What happens to my benefits while I’m on unpaid leave?

    While on unpaid leave of absence you are permitted to remain on BUSD group coverage but you must pay the full cost of the coverage. To find the exact amount of your medical and dental benefits plans you can go to the “Schedules – Benefits” section of the BFT website and look under the row labeled “rates”.

  7. What about part-time unpaid leaves of absence?

    The contract states that the District will “endeavor to make available part-time and part-year leaves of absence….” If you are interested in a part-time leave please call the BFT office at 549-2307 so that we can offer more detailed advice.